Hello! I’m Paul Varcholik.
I’m just your average geek, with many many hobbies. I built this site to share some information about a few of them.
I’m a software engineer, most recently with Electronic Arts – Tiburon where I worked on titles such as Madden NFL 06 (Xbox 360) and Superman Returns (Xbox 360/Xbox/PS2). I hold a Bachelor’s in Computer Science from Valdosta State University and a Ph.D. in Modeling & Simulation from the University of Central Florida.
I also teach classes at the Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy (FIEA) and Seminole State College. I focus primarily on user interfaces, game development, and robotics utilizing C#, XNA, and the .NET Framework.
If you have any comments you’d like to send to me directly, I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for reading.
- Gestural Communication with Accelerometer-Based Input Devices and Multi-Modal Displays. 16th Annual ARL/USMA Technical Symposium. Oct. 2008, Atlantic City, NJ.
- 3D User Interfaces in Video Games with the Bespoke 3DUI XNA Framework. Microsoft Research Faculty Summit 2008. Jul., 2008. Redmond, WA.
- Varcholik, P., LaViola J., Hughes, C. (2012). Establishing a baseline for text entry for a multi-touch virtual keyboard. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies.
- Varcholik, P. (2011). Multi-Touch for General-Purpose Computing: An Examination of Text Entry. Doctoral Dissertation. University of Central Florida.
- Varcholik, P. Merlo, J. (2008). Gestural Communication with Accelerometer-based Input Devices and Tactile Displays. Proceedings of the 26th Army Science Conference. (.pptx)
- Varcholik, P., Barber, D., Nicholson, D. (2008). Interactions and Training with Unmanned Systems and the Nintendo Wiimote. Proceedings of the 2008 Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation, and Education Conference (I/ITSEC).
- Varcholik, P., LaViola, J., Nicholson, D. (2009). TACTUS: A Hardware and Software Testbed for Research in Multi-Touch Interaction. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI International 2009). (.pptx) (Springer Proceedings)
- Varcholik, P., LaViola J., Hughes, C. (2009). The Bespoke 3DUI XNA Framework: A Low-Cost Platform for Prototyping 3D Spatial Interfaces in Video Games., Proceedings of Sandbox 2009: The Fourth ACM SIGGRAPH Conference on Video Games, 55-62.
- Wingrave, C., Williamson, B. , Varcholik, P., Rose, J., Miller, A., Charbonneau, E., Bott, J., and LaViola, J. Wii Remote and Beyond: Using Spatially Convenient Devices for 3DUIs. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications.
- Hoffman, M., Varcholik, P., LaViola, J. (2010). Breaking the Status Quo: Improving 3D Gesture Recognition with Spatially Convenient Input Devices. IEEE Virtual Reality 2010.